Have we been there, done that and failed or is Apple going to succeed in convincing us we need a Ipad?
Back in the early 2000's the company I worked for sent me to cebit, that year the big thing was tablet pc's. Who was leading the charge? A small company called Microsoft with their Windows xp tablet edition. Does everyone now own a tablet pc......no.
So what makes the Ipad so different and why will it be a winner? Well of course its Apple and their marketing machine convincing us that its the best thing since sliced bread.
It's certainly a nice looking device, the screen is a nice size, its very thin and the battery lasts 10 hours!
But I am feeling slightly disappointed with some of the initial specs of the Ipad.
No camera - surely a device like this is screaming out for video capture and webcam capabilities. You've seen all the sci-fi movies with people using tablet computers to video conference, I want to be in one of them.
No flash player - what is going on here? I think one day Apple will sort this out but when? Apparently 80% of all video on the internet uses flash, that's an awful lot of video Ipad users will miss out on.
No usb or card readers - how are you going to get your camera photo's onto the Ipad?
No multitasking - this one has always struck me as a bit strange. So its a tablet computer but you can only have one application running at one time!
Earlier adopter's I think should be very cautious as I'm sure Apple will suck you in then six months later will release a new version with everything fixed. Remember the iPhone that couldn't cut and paste?
It will be interesting to see what kind of 3G data plans we have when it is launched in the UK. In the US they are launching a $30 eat as much data as you like for the 3G version I think that would make it a very attractive option but as yet I cannot see who for?
I think the jury is out on this one, will this be Apple's first failure? We shall see.
link to BBC discussion on the Ipad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment